Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Rocco's Blog 4/7/10


in search of quality-
I've been tripping from Kingston to Oakland and a
few stops in between-
i've been collecting image of the villages, cities, and people who i have been fortunate enough to meet- blogging took a brief break because i do not carry a computer with me on my travels - only a few items which include: national, pocket knife, tape, small grab of clothes, book to read, book to write in, and the use of local talents to help document sight and sound-

i have written some words for the true kings, those who are fearless in the face of the conventional wisdom- i wanted to record where history, hope, and the drum lives- producer, engineer and friend Mark Howard aka "Dirty Howard" had done some work in Jamaica and was familiar with a talent from the area who went by the name Dizzle.
(who played along to what could be considered folk songs). The results were worth the trip alone, we felt as if we created a collision of the written word, beats from the ground, and the energy that only an eighty-year-old Duolian can create. The God's were with us-
we recorded the live sessions in seven nights- my friend and gorilla-skateboarding-film-geek Ted Newsome from "Two Headed Horse" decided to come and film the live sessions- along with our trips through Port Antonio, Kingston, and the Blue Mountains. i'm currently going through footage with Ted to let others experience the happening with us. Thank you to Mark and Daniel Lanois for there encouragement with this trip.
-when i arrived back home, as usual, i was a bit restless after having been creating music on a very focused nightly basis. i go through these cold depressions when a thing is finished. I miss the music, the laughs, the coffee, the weed, the water, the soil- i decided to strap my national to the back of my machine and take off for the East Bay for a while. i know i looked mad (with everything i own tied to the back) by the expressions on the faces of people i passed. I had never ridden that far and thought it would be something to see PCH without being in a cage- i stayed with a friend, and explored for two weeks (graffiti is alive and well), which is different from going straight to the show and leaving directly after- i came back down through the central valley which opened into big skies and great distances, so great you feel small, then smaller-

after dropping out of the commercial world i have had to be more resourceful- efficient- raw- however, i have been afforded the opportunity to live amongst those who place quality above the popular-
as a result i will be playing stripped down shows over the next couple of months until we are able to share this next record, which will take a minute to sort out how it will be shared- i've got hope in my veins- my grandma said i might be able to borrow her ride for the tour- i want to see you in your hood-
bless,
rocco

9 comments:

BTH said...

Hopefully you'll stop by Seattle. You have re-filled your soul and I hope I get to witness your art again. -peace

Sabine said...

love, Rocco, and you do know where to find my living room to play for us. Thank you so much for every single unbelievable precious moment during the recent shows...love, always, and peace.

Melisa said...

Sounds like beautiful times. I hope to see you in the Southeast again.

Unknown said...

Saturday night....Venice to Hermosa to see you perform. As I knew my friend would feel the same......you are breathtaking! Thank you. Love and Nurture, Eileen

Doesn't said...

My girlfriend and I saw you in Denver. You were astounding, moving, amazing, I have been searching for ways to see you solo acoustic again. I need to.

Unknown said...

I want to see you in my hood too. Come back to Denver.

Lana said...

I was convinced a few years back to be the parent to check out 6 high school students to see you at starbucks..Didn't ever hear of you then. By the time you were finished, I had you sign my c.d.Marry Me Lana..Now myself, family and friends continue to support you every show we can get to..even took my little ones to the Wiltern..And I keep giving your c.d's as gifts..Love, Love, Love your music!

Nate Compton said...

I look forward to seeing you in Atlanta again. Last time you came was one of the single most inspiring nights of my life, and some of the best damn music I've ever heard.

Unknown said...

Quality and authenticity. Words cannot describe how much I admire you rocco I wish you'd visit my hood xxx